Have a craving for some Mexican, but you want to skip those filling tortillas?
These Taco Stuffed Peppers are an easy weeknight dinner that is packed with your favorite taco flavors! If you are looking for a lower-carb dinner option that’s ready in less than 30 minutes, these will likely be on your menu plan often. These stuffed peppers are also so customizable — the toppings options are ENDLESS, which makes them great for a party, or just a way to please picky kids who like to make every meal special to them. Did we mention it’s also a delicious way to get them to eat more veggies?
Taco stuffed peppers are filling and delicious, and they can be made either meat-filled or with our vegetarian friends in mind! This easy-baked dinner is good for any evening at home to skip the restaurant.
Be sure to watch our Recipe Index and Facebook page for more recipes!
30 Minute Taco Stuffed Peppers
Taco Stuffed Peppers – Taco ’bout a healthy dinner! These Taco Stuffed Peppers are an easy weeknight dinner that is packed with your favorite taco flavors, low carb, and ready in less than 30 minutes.
4-5 large Bell peppers, various colors
MEAT OPTION: 1-lb. ground turkey for the meat option
VEGETARIAN OPTION: 1 cup quinoa cooked with 2 cups veggie broth & 1 14.5-oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
½ medium white onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
Cheese of choice (optional)
Nonfat Greek yogurt
Pico de gaillo
- If preparing a vegetarian option, cook 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups vegetable broth (you can use 2 cups water too). To do this, boil liquid in saucepan, add quinoa, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Cut peppers lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds. Place peppers cut side up on a baking sheet prepared with non-stick spray and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. We need to remove the moisture, before filling them!
- While peppers are cooking, if you are preparing the MEAT OPTION, cook ground turkey with 1 tbsp. olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain fat. Add onion and garlic.
- If you are preparing the VEGETARIAN OPTION, saute onion and garlic with 1 tbsp olive oil until soft. Then add cooked quinoa and black beans to the pan and mix well.
- Add all taco seasonings, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, and salt. Stir in crushed tomatoes.
- Remove peppers from the oven when ready. Drain excess water from each pepper (peppers naturally leech water when cooked).
- Remove the taco mixture from heat and fill each pepper half with about ¼ cup of taco mixture each. Top each pepper with cheese (optional). Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Use all your favorite taco toppings for serving!
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 4-5 servings (each stuffed pepper is one serving)
Nutrition Information: Calories 250; Total Fat: 7g; Carbohydrates: 23g; Protein: 23g