Swap the tortillas for zucchini!
Whether you’re flush with garden zucchini or you’re trying to lower carbs a tad, we have the perfect recipe for both goals that tastes absolutely DELICIOUS.
This amazing zucchini enchilada recipe uses thin slices of zucchini instead of flour tortillas to wrap the chicken. Smothered with melted Mexican cheese and spicy enchilada sauce, you’ll barely notice the difference!
Swap the tortillas for thinly sliced zucchini, and try this carb-friendly, veggie-PACKED Zucchini Enchiladas. Filled with whatever protein you prefer, they are sure to impress!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 cups of favorite enchilada filling (chicken, beef, beans)
1 1/3 cups enchilada sauce (to desired spice level)
4 zucchinis (thinly sliced lengthwise)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Greek yogurt (optional, for drizzling)
Fresh cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Add cooked filling and 1 cup enchilada sauce.
- Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel thin slices of zucchini. You should get about 10 slices per zucchini.
- Layout 3 slices of zucchini, slightly overlapping, and top with a spoonful of filling. Roll up and place in baking dish.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchilada then top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 13 minutes (Instant Pot), 4-8 hours (Slow Cooker) | Total: 23 minutes (Instant Pot) or 4-8 hours (Slow Cooker)
Yield: Makes 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Information: Serving (1 enchilada – based on 6 servings): Calories 318; Total Fat: 18g; Carbohydrates: 10g; Protein: 28g