Goals. Often celebrated as the engines of progress, they fuel our ambitions, guide our actions, and hold us accountable in fitness, careers, and even work-life balance. But beneath the surface, lies a hidden truth: not all goals are created equal.
That’s right. Many fall short, not because of a lack of effort, but because we aim for the wrong targets. We chase outcomes – medals, promotions, perfect balance – forgetting the crucial steps beneath. This is where understanding the different types of goals and planning appropriately becomes key.
Types of Goals
So before we dive into goal-setting strategies, let’s untangle the different types of goals so we can make sure we’re aiming at the right targets.
- Outcome Goals: These goals are your Everest, the final destination you’re conquering. They focus on achievements like hitting a specific rank in a competition or landing a dream job.
- Performance Goals: These goals are all about personal bests, exceeding your own limits, and becoming a better version of yourself. It’s about lifting heavier, running faster, or closing more deals than ever before.
- Process Goals: These goals are the behind-the-scenes heroes, like getting 8 hours of sleep, eating clean 5 days a week, and nailing those CrossFit squats. They may not be flashy, but they’re the secret sauce to reaching your top performance.
Think of goal-setting like constructing a rocket to the moon. Your Outcome Goal is the distant planet you’re aiming for – like that top 25% rank in the CrossFit Open. But reaching it requires a multi-stage launch system.
Consider this Example:
Outcome Goal: “I want to place in the top 25% of the CrossFit Open in 2024.”
- Performance Goal to Support the Outcome: These are the powerful engines propelling you closer to your target. They’re specific, measurable improvements based on your current capabilities, like attending CrossFit classes 4 times a week or addressing weaknesses with a coach in 1:1 training sessions.
- Process Goal to Support Performance: These are the essential fuel and maintenance checks keeping your engines running smoothly. They’re the daily habits like 8 hours of sleep, proper nutrition with 2,700 kcal daily, and 20-30 minutes of mobility training that boost consistency and performance.
By layering these goals like rocket stages, you build a powerful support system of behaviors and habits that bolster performance and consistency. Each step fuels the next, increasing your chances of reaching your moonshot outcome-focused goal.
Don’t forget the launch code! The SMART acronym helps you further refine your goals:
- Specific: Make it crystal clear. Not “get fit,” but “run a 5K in 30 minutes.”
- Measurable: Track progress with numbers, dates, or milestones.
- Achievable: Challenge yourself, but stay within your reach.
- Relevant: Align goals with your values and aspirations.
- Time-Bound: Set deadlines to create urgency and track progress.
With this knowledge of goal types and the SMART framework, you can continuously refine and build upon your goal-setting abilities. Achieving your goals not only brings a sense of accomplishment but also reinforces positive habits and behaviors that pave the way to a better you.
Armed with the knowledge of different goal types and the SMART framework, you’re now equipped to refine your goal-setting game. Don’t wait for the perfect moment – start right now, with one small step toward your desired outcome. Remember, consistency is key, so celebrate every milestone, learn from setbacks, and keep propelling yourself forward. This journey of goal-setting is yours to own, so make it epic.
We are here to listen. We are here to help. And we want to be part of your journey. Let’s start a conversation. Click the link below to schedule a FREE Intro with our team today!
Bonus Tip: Tired of gym mismatches? Check out our blog post guide to finding the ideal facility and coaching team that fuels your fitness journey.