Craving your favorite takeout fried rice!? The Hotchkiss family has you covered!
If you have been following us, you likely already know that we LOVE taking a good restaurant favorite and making it healthier from home. With today’s recipe, we have help from Home Chefs Phill and Vesta Hotchkiss.
Fitness is a family affair in the Hotchkiss household. With Vesta, Phil, and Auggie very active in our classes and additional programs and Vesta teaching additional classes at Wilson’s, you know nutrition is a big part of their day-to-day life. What you may not know is that they are also passionate vegans.
What started as a journey to minimize disease and reduce allergens in the food they eat is now a family affair to teach and involve their children in their food and nutrition choices and make an impact on their environmental footprint.
They are also extremely generous with their knowledge and experiences with our growing community of vegetarians, vegans, or just people who want to eat meatless more often. This amazing Tofu Fried Rice recipe is a versatile entrée or a side dish when a serious Chinese takeout craving strikes. It’s also far healthier and more satisfying than anything you’ll find at a restaurant.
Why cook at home?
Everyone appreciates the comfort of home-cooked meals, but cooking at home also means healthier eating. When you explore meals to cook at home vs takeout and take the time to prepare food for yourself and your family, you enjoy more healthful and nutritious food. You also get better:
- Control over portion sizes
- Insight and value in the cost of the meal
- Quality of proteins and ingredients
- Adherence to diet and nutrition goals
- Oversight over how the food is prepared
Tofu Fried Rice
This amazing Tofu Fried Rice recipe is a versatile entrée or a side dish when a serious Chinese takeout craving strikes. It’s also far healthier and more satisfying than anything you’ll find at a restaurant.
Ingredients (stir fry)
1.75 cups of uncooked short grain brown rice
1 block of EXTRA FIRM tofu (14-16 oz)
3 heads (about 4 cups) of broccoli
1 red pepper, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook 1.75 cups of short-grain brown rice however you like to cook the rice! We like to cook it on the stovetop with 3.5 cups of water in a 3-quart saucepan with a lid. Bring water to a boil, pour in the rice, cover, and cook/simmer on medium-low on the stovetop until ready (water is absorbed – about 20 min).
- Drain and press 1 block of EXTRA FIRM tofu (14-16 oz) between a hand towel (We usually set a cast iron pan on top to press the tofu). Let the cast iron pan sit on towel-covered tofu for 5 mins to absorb some of the water.
- Cut tofu into small cubes. Toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- Heat cast iron pan on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add tofu and cook until light brown (about 5 min), stirring occasionally.
- Place cast iron pan in the heated oven for 12 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook until they reach desired tenderness.
- While that is cooking, whisk together sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine all ingredients together (rice, tofu, veggies, and sauce) in the large sauté pan and stir until combined. Enjoy!
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total: 50 minutes
Yield: Makes 4-6 servings (depending on your bowl size)
Nutrition Information: Calories 563; Total Fat: 13g; Carbohydrates: 92g; Protein: 21g